What’s Going on at the Cameo Shooting and Education Complex
This page is updated frequently in order to keep you in touch with all the goings-on at CSEC. It’s definitely worthwhile checking back every couple of days, as there is a lot happening at CSEC and things are changing quickly. For a quick summary of the major events coming up this year, see the new Events Page
NOTICE: The entire facility will be closed from August 1st through the 9th for CompExpo
This includes the Sporting Clays facilities and the 3-D Archery Loops.
Defenders USA to Offer Handgun Training at CSEC
July 22, 2021: Defenders USA will be offering the following courses at CSEC this weekend:
- Concealed Handgun Permit Course Saturday, July 24th, 8:30 am to 1:15 pm https://www.defenders-usa.com/courses/concealed-handgun-permit-course-cameo-co-5
- Handgun Fundamentals Saturday, July 24th, 2 pm – 7 pm https://www.defenders-usa.com/courses/handgun-fundamentals-cameo-co-8
- Handgun Speed & Accuracy Sunday, July 25th, 8 am – 4:30 pm https://www.defenders-usa.com/courses/handgun-speed-accuracy-cameo-co
CompExpo is Coming to CSEC on August 6th, 7th and 8th
July 22, 2021: On August 6th, the largest event ever held at Cameo will be opening. CompExpo is an event where guests can come and check out the top manufacturers in the shooting sports and participate in live demos and educational seminars. At the end of the week guests will be able to watch the
Admission includes demos and exhibits by major exhibitors, including:
- A Girl and A Gun
- Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
- Burris Optics
- Field Optics
- The Guardian
- Leica Hunting USA
- Machine Gun Tours
- National Rifle League
- Nightforce Optics
- National Shooting Sports Foundation
- Proof Research
- SIG Sauer
- Timney Triggers
- Viking Armament
- Vortex Optics
- Vudoo Gun Works
The NRL Hunter Grand Slam Championship is Coming to CSEC on August 6th through the 8th
July 10, 2021: The NRL Hunter Grand Slam Championship is coming back to CSEC. Presented by Bushnell and sponsored by Hornady, this invitation only match will be held in the CSEC Terrain Park, down range on the LRP, and consists of a hunting-style match with targets ranging out to 1,000 yards. This is the seasonal championship of the NRL Hunter Series matches. This match is part of the CompExpo event. For more information, click here.
The Surefire World Multi-Gun Championship is Coming to CSEC on August 6th
July 10, 2021: On August 6th through the 8th, the Surefire World Multi-Gun Championship will be held at CSEC. This 15-stage match represents all styles of Multigun. There will be a Championship stage for the Top 3 in each division. This match is part of the CompExpo event. For more info or to register for this event, click here.
CSEC has ammo available for competitors in this event at pre-pandemic prices.
Babes with Bullets is Coming to CSEC on August 26th
July 10, 2021: On August 26th and 27th, Kay Miculek will be holding the Ladies Handgun Camp at CSEC. This event is a training opportunity for novice and intermediate-level ladies to improve their handgun skills. Taught by an all-female team of national and world shooting sports champions, led by Kay Miculek, this two day program is designed to teach women to handle and operate a handgun safely and confidently. For more info or to register for this event, click here.
CSEC has ammo available for attendees of this event at pre-pandemic prices.
The Babes with Bullets Run and Gun Challenge is Coming to CSEC on August 28th
July 10, 2021: On August 28th and 29th, Jerry, Kay and Lena Miculek will be holding the Babes with Bullets Run and Gun Challenge at CSEC. This event is presented by Fiocchi USA, Mossberg, and Hi-Viz Sights. Formerly known as the Babes with Bullets 3-Gun Challenge, the Run & Gun Challenge addresses the challenge of acquiring ammo, along with having / transporting multiple firearms. It makes it easier for more ladies to participate by using a single firearm, and to meet the growing demand for female friendly matches without excluding the guys. The match features two shooting domains, with an aim to have an equal number of female and male participants. All match participants shoot the same stages of fire, with the Women’s Domain and Men’s Domain scored separately. For more info or to register for this event, click here.
CSEC has ammo available for competitors in this event at pre-pandemic prices.
Progress Continues on the LRP Shooting Shelter
July 16, 2021: The LRP shooting shelter construction has progressed. The header beams are up and the firing line has been re-established, thanks to the efforts of CSEC staff members.
The final structure will measure 40′ x 80′ and will contain eight shooting benches, with provisions for prone firing. It will be enclosed on three sides to provide protection from the elements.
Eight New Competition Shooting Bays Under Construction
July 6, 2021: Progress continues on the 8 new competition shooting bays This will bring the total number of shooting bays at CSEC to 28. The new bays are located on the left side of the entrance road, where the gate to the road leading up to the LRP and Archery loops is located. The 70′ x 135′ bays will be identical to the existing competition bays, with competitor shelters and WiFi access. The bays are being funded by a donation from the Action Pistol Group.
The ESP Bighorn Classic Colorado State USPSA Championship was a Major Success
June 28, 2021: The 2021 Bighorn Classic Colorado State USPSA Championship was a major success. 241 shooters from across the country came to CSEC to compete over 2 days, shooting 19 stages (plus chrono) in absolutely perfect weather. The 2021 Colorado State Champions are:
- Carry Optics – Henning Wallgren
- Limited – Charlie Perez
- Production – Christian Peterson
- Single-Stack – Walt Proulx
- PCC – Ted Nischan
- Open – Ross Downs
Other notable awards:
- 1st Place Overall – KC Eusebio
- 2nd Place Overall – Justine Williams
- 3rd Place Overall – Nils Jonasson
- 1st Place Carry Optics – Nils Jonasson
- 2nd Place Carry Optics – Henning Wallgren
- 3rd Place Carry Optics – Richard Ingram
- 1st Place Limited – Gianni Giordano
- 2nd Place Limited -Kenny Terry
- 3rd Place Limited – Charlie Perez
- 1st Place Open – KC Eusebio
- 2nd Place Open – Eric Liu
- 3rd Place Open – Mike O’Leary
- 1st Place PCC – Justine Williams
- 2nd Place PCC – Brian Harrington
- 3rd Place PCC – Ted Nischan
- 1st Place Production – Jeff Cawthon
- 2nd Place Production – Jared Fox
- 3rd Place Production – Justin Lee
- 1st Place Single Stack – Jalise Williams
- 2nd Place Single Stack – Walt Proulx
- 3rd Place Single Stack – Peter Pres
- High Junior – Jalise Williams
- High Senior – Mel Rodero II
- High Super Senior – Dave Benson
- High Lady – Justine Williams
- High Law Enforcement – James Ramos
- High Military – Christopher Culpepper
The full list of scores is available on Practiscore. To see pictures and videos from this match, click here. Read the Shooting Sports USA Article. Congratulations to the winners, and thank you all involved for an exceptional match.
Koenig-Ruger Precision Rifle Competition was a Huge Success
June 28, 2021: The Doug Koenig – Ruger Precision Rifle Competition hosted 86 competitors over two truly grueling days of temperatures near 100 degrees shooting 18 challenging stages spread throughout the Cameo facility. 81 competitors from as far away as Florida were treated to the beautiful Cameo scenery as they shot western-themed stages. Colorado Q, masters of the BBQ, catered the lunches both days, delivered to the shooters out on the range, as well as the BBQ picnic at Pavilion #2 on Sunday afternoon, after which the awards ceremony was held. The event wound up with an exceedingly generous prize table, both for the competitors, as well as for the Cameo volunteers who came out in full force to support this match. Thanks to the major efforts of JT Tolle and his family, and The Water Store, competitors and staff were kept well hydrated throughout the match with ice-cold bottled water. The match results are listed here. You can see pictures from this match here. Stay tuned for an announcement for next year’s match, because Doug Koenig and Keith Baker are coming back!
The 2021 Wilson Combat Rocky Mountain Regional IDPA Match Hosts 276 Competitors from around the United States
June 28, 2021: This year’s Rocky Mountain Regional IDPA match had excellent attendance, with 276 shooters competing in the match. The Winners were:
- 1st Place Overall – Nils Jonasson
- 2nd Place Overall – Todd DeJong
- 3rd Place Overall – Shaun Gardener
- 1st Place BUG – Joseph Bawden
- 2nd Place BUG – Michael Coe
- 3rd Place BUG – Paul Munizzi
- 1st Place CCP – Austin Proulx
- 2nd Place CCP – Eric France
- 3rd Place CCP – Jay Koller
- 1st Place CDP – Glenn Shelby
- 2nd Place CDP – Rob Leatham
- 3rd Place CDP – Walt Proulx
- 1st Place CO – Nils Jonasson
- 2nd Place CO – Jeremy Story
- 3rd Place CO – Mike Seeklander
- 1st Place ESP – Kyle Schmidt
- 2nd Place ESP – Robert Krogh
- 3rd Place ESP – Pat Doyle
- 1st Place PCC – Todd DeJong
- 2nd Place PCC – Shaun Gardener
- 3rd Place PCC – Brandon Badger
- 1st Place SSP – Jakob Brophy
- 2nd Place SSP – Greg Martin
- 3rd Place SSP – Jared Phillips
- 1st Place REV – Matthew Krause
- 2nd Place REV – Fred Mowrey
- 3rd Place REV – Alan Reising
- High Lady – Diana Driscoll
- High Junior – Ryan Hern
- High Senior – Todd DeJong
- High Distinguished Senior – John France
- High Industry – Nils Jonasson
- High International – Michael Knehs
- High Military – Joseph Bawden
- High Law Enforcement – Jeremy Story
- High Veteran – Shaun Gardener
The full match results are available here.
Gunsite is Coming to Cameo!
June 2 2021: On August 15th through 19th, Gunsite Academy will be holding a Long Range Rifle Course on the LRP at CSEC. The Colorado Long Range Rifle Course will be held over 5 days, requiring each student to bring 500 rounds of ammunition. Cost of the course is $1700. For more information, and to register for this course, click here.
The First CSEC Newsletter Has Been Sent
The 1st Annual Cameo Classic Sporting Clays Tournament to be held October 1st to the 3rd
May 12, 2021: The 1st Annual Cameo Classic Sporting Clays tournament will be held from October 1st through October 3rd on the sporting clays ranges at CSEC. For more information, or to register for this tournament, click here.
2021 US IDPA National Championship Coming to CSEC
April 16, 2021: On September 22nd throughSeptember 25th this year, the 2021 IDPA US National Championship will be held here at the Cameo Shooting and Education Complex. This is one of the largest shooting events in the country and with 400 to 500 attendees, the largest competitive event ever to be held at CSEC. Click here for more information.
Expanded Public Days on the LRP
April 6, 2021: Starting on April 13th, the Long Range Precision (LRP) range will be open every Tuesday and Thursday, and on select weekend days, except when closed for special events. Please check the Calendar of Events if you are planning on making reservations for the LRP. Remember, reservations on the LRP must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance.
Summer Hours are In Effect
March 12, 2021: The Cameo Shooting and Education Center started on summer hours on March 15th. CSEC is open from 7:00 AM until 7:00 PM.
- Sporting Clays is open from 7:00 AM until 6:30 PM
- The LRP is open on public days from 8:00 AM until 6:00 PM
We are Now Offering a Chronograph Service
November 28, 2020: Have a load for your rifle or pistol for which you want to know its actual velocity through your gun? CSEC is now offering a chronograph service. See the Chronograph Service page for more details.
It is Now Possible to Schedule Use of the Long Range Precision Course on a Non-Public Day
July 17,2020: Users wishing to use the LRP on days other than the scheduled public days may now do so. Scheduling must be done a week in advance to provide time to schedule a Range Safety Officer. The fee is $120 or $10 per shooter whichever is greater. Payment of at least $120 due upon scheduling . Scheduling is subject to availability of range and Range Safety Officers. Call the Range Office at (970) 464-1339 to schedule.
LRP Master Challenge
May 5, 2020: Do you seek the ultimate long-rage and extreme long-range challenge? Come try the LRP Master Challenge. In this contest you will be required to get a hit on each and every target on the LRP range. 27 targets range from 100 to 2,003 yards. And that last target is an 18″x24″ IPSC torso. For more details, check out the LRP Master Challenge page.
Long Ranger Club
May 2, 2020: To celebrate the long-range and extreme long-range achievements of our shooters we have instituted the Long Ranger Club. Shooters achieving hits on select targets that are witnessed by a CSEC RSO or CSEC staff will be awarded a certificate as follows:
- Gold – 2,000 yards
- Silver – 1,760 yards (one mile)
- Bronze – 1,000 yards
In addition, their achievement will be recorded and listed on the Long Ranger Club page for bragging rights.
Fired brass available for sale at CSEC office
March 30, 2020: CSEC has fired range brass in 10 pound bags available at the range office. The brass is available in a number of pistol and rifle calibers. See the Range Office page for details.